Page Buttons

Monday, March 17, 2014

Not Quite a Repeat

I mentioned in my last post that in addition to finishing up Candy Dish, I also managed to get another quick quilt top put together.  This is now the third quilt that I've made with the Chateau Rouge fabric line by French General, and this one's for my Momma.


Last year, I made this big D9P for myself using a layer cake of this line and both my mom and grandmother fell in love with the fabrics.  Incidentally, this was my very first foray into free motion quilting, and let's just say that I'm glad you can't see the quilting up close in this photo.


Since they both loved the fabrics so much, and mentioned that they would love a quilt made with them, I snatched up two more layer cakes and put them away until inspiration struck.  I don't usually enjoy repeats, but I ended up spacing these three quilts out enough that it didn't get boring at all.  I made French Quarter Charm for my grandmother and gave it to her for Christmas.


The toughest part of making three separate quilts with identical layer cakes has been trying to make each one a little unique.  Also, I wanted to be sure that I didn't cut the squares too much.  A lot of cutting means too many seams, and too many seams would shrink the size of the quilt, and when your fabric is limited, that just won't work.

As it so happens, my Mom is coming to visit this weekend and I would love to be able to finish it up so she can take it home with her!  




13 comments:

  1. Love each of them. They are certainly unique even though made from the same fabric! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them; I like larger pieces of fabric in my quilts most of the time. The patterns shine in lots of fabrics and I like to let them speak for themselves.

    Your quilts are superb and I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only does cutting the fabric result in more seams and a smaller quilt but also if you have beautiful fabric like these, the fabrics are not showcased, if they are cut into small pieces. You did a wonderful job of three unique quilts from the same fabric. I have a quilt to finish. I made one from the same fabrics and used the same pattern, I just swapped the fabrics around. I made the original when my sister-in-law was ordained as a pastor about 3 years ago. I scalloped the borders on hers and couldn't decide if I wanted to scallop mine or not. Well, I finally decided that I do. So, now I have a plan. Great projects. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wanted to add that cutting up beautiful/gorgeous fabric into tiny pieces renders it almost equal in beauty to just about any fabric of the same colors.

    When someone loves a certain fabric, doing something as you have does allows the fabrics themselves to take center stage. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. French General is a great collection and you have showcased the designs wonderfully! Your mom will love it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all gorgeous, but I think maybe I like your mom's the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All are very pretty! I'm sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed watching you put this one together. Can't wait to see the pics of the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like these quilts. They look pretty easy especially the D9P. Wonderful colors. Those are the kind I like to make and they look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all very pretty quilts. With French General fabric, how could they be anything but beautiful. Nice going. Your mother will love hers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. they are distinctive yet still related. probably like you, your mom, and your grandmother. =) nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really neat - to do three different quilts with the same fabric lines - love the variety!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both are Wonderful! What a nice gift for mother.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips