Page Buttons

Friday, October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival Time!

I am so excited to enter the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side for the very first time!  I can't wait to browse through all of the fantastic entries, make some new quilty friends, and get inspired!

I absolutely could not decide between two of my quilts, so I decided that since I'm allowed two entries, I'll just enter both!  My first entry is my scrappy quilt, Serendipity.


Making this quilt was a really special experience for me, because I was able to revisit all of the previous quilts I've made that have gone to new homes.  To make the blocks, I took every single scrap I had and just started sewing- improv style.


The quilt masures 84 x 96, so it was quite an undertaking to quilt it on my home machine, which is also another reason that I feel so proud of it.  It is quilted in a simple meander, which I think fits with the style of the improv blocks and doesn't add too much busy-ness.  It took some real muscles to manage the weight of such a big quilt with FMQ on a regular machine!


I was able to piece the rest of my improv blocks into the backing to add a little bit of interest there.  I love the how the lime green polkadots look with the explosion of color in the blocks.


With all of the scrappy color, any binding or backing color choices would have worked, but I decided to bind with Kona Purple, and I think it keeps it really bright and fun!

The name of this quilt is a reflection of the way the quilt came together.  It is a quilt whose beauty was realized from sewing with humble scraps, from sewing in a style that was completely unplanned.  The name Serendipity fits like a glove.


Quilt Stats:
Name- Serendipity
Size- 84 x 96 in.
Quilting- Free motion meandering by me
Entry Category- Scrappy Quilts

Be sure to check out all of the fabulous entries, and prepare to be inspired!

AmysCreativeSide

21 comments:

  1. what a fantastic way to use up all those scraps - it's a colourful, quilty explosion! Enjoy the festival :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt, Kelly! I just adore colourful quilts made with lots of different fabrics and scraps! Your quilt is grea example how all kind of prints can make a beautiful mix! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this quilt! So many wonderful, bright, happy scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great mix of gorgeous fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, so much scrappy goodness! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the improvisational style of this quilt. You are braver than I trying to quilt a quilt that size on a regular machine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed with the size - wow! And I love the improv - surprise, surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mix of fabrics, great way to bring your previous works together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful scrappy quilt and what fun to use it all up. Always such pretty quilts, and eye candy. Thanks for the ZERO calories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great improv quilt!! Love the scrappiness of it - and that it all goes together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt :) Way to go quilting that beast on your home machine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! I am too chicken to put all my scrap colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this quilt! So fun to use all your scraps from other quilts. I love to look back and see bits of other quilts jump into what I'm working on. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fun, so happy! Great way to use scraps up! What size of block did you make, I`m wondering.
    And I admire your determination and courage in quilting it yourself, I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt, scrappy quilts are so much fun. I have a scrappy quilt fabric waiting to be made into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The back of your quilts are almost as exciting as the front!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt!!!
    This is "my way" of patchwork and I just adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Good job quilting it on your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Scrappy is my favorite and this is a super one!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun quilt! Love all the colorful, bright scraps. Great improv quilt! I love the back too. I can't believe you quilted this on a DSM! What a huge job that must have been.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips